Monday, November 24, 2008

My Security Blanket

I am aware that I am 40 and that I just told you I have a security blanket. It isn't a security blanket, but something that makes me fell secure just the same. Ohhhh. You have one too, don't you? For forever, mine has been my bangs. Seriously. I could hide behind them, which is why they became my security blanket. Sometime in the Spring I came up with the brilliant idea to do away with the bangs. And, so began the oddysey of growing them out. I cursed my decision many a day, but I stood behind it. (For the record, when we were still pregnant with Torrey, I told Dean we HAD to decide "bangs" or "no bangs" ... and, yes, it was a decision that had to be made immediately. He looked at little girls in church with and without and said "no bangs" ... which is why Torrey has NEVER had a bang in her hair. Which means she has never had to grow out bangs. Lucky Girl.)

At first, the growing out was easy ... because it was just long bangs. Then, long bangs became annoying bangs that had to have something done to them. So, hello headbands ... or the fashionally chic barrette. And, in an instant I had a new security blanket ... my headband. Once or twice I thought, "Maybe today is the day when I go without" and literally got to the bathroom door and turned around for the headband.

Well, on Friday, the worst thing that could happen did. My headband broke. In the middle of the day. I would love to say I didn't panic, but that would be a lie. It was terrible. Although, my teaching assistant was in the room for my meltdown and she would probably say it was terribly hilarious because she laughed until she cried. In my panic, I knew I had to get my hair up some way. I tried the gorgeous bun on the top of my head. Bella said I looked like a "karate chopper girl". Bun came down. Tried a ponytail. Was told I looked like a 12 year old. Ponytail came down (after I did a 12 year old dance). And, my hair stayed down for the rest of the day. And, guess what happened? I got compliment after compliment after compliment. What?! So, guess what happened today? I wore my hair down. I am now in search of a new security blanket!

3 comments:

Steve said...

I have some very nice men coming to bring you a new security blanket! The benefit of this one is that you can hug yourself all day long!

Al & Judy Melton said...

So... why are there no pictures on this post? dad

the Curriers said...

i'm with your dad. where are the pictures?! :)