Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I Dare You

I have a little buddy in my class who is a pumpkin, but, seriously has caused me to hone my "teaching" craft this year. In the areas of discipline, classroom management and lastly, but most importantly the fact that it is against the law for me to kill a child. Oh, there have been days. Many, many days.

I say that to say there are days when the light at the end of the tunnel is close. Oh so close. Today was partly one of those days. It wasn't perfect ... there was the fist fight in the middle of the of the Book Fair author's speech. It was even more perfect since my class was in the front row. (Can you say teacher of the year?!) And, then there was the hitting someone on the head with a lunchbox at lunchtime. And, then he got so mad at me for asking him to stay in line he threw his lunchbox (extremely hard) at the brick wall. But, ya'll, today was a good day. (And, I didn't write that so that you would immediately get down on your knees to pray for me. Nor did I write it as part of my defense in case of an unfortunate incident from paragraph one.) Seriously, the light was shining bright.

Someone got in his face at the end of the day. Ordinarily that would have caused me to become the referee in the middle of a boxing match. Not today. He came to me and demonstrated a not so lovely face his friend made. When I asked the face making friend what kind of face he made, I really should have known the answer I was going to receive. I just should have known better.

He said "My my my eyes are not not not near my mouth so I couldn't see what kind of face I made."

You try to keep on disciplining with a straight face. I dare you.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

From the mouth of babes... how did you keep a straight face?

Al & Judy Melton said...

We soooo love your blogs... it does not take the place of talking to you eveery day, but they sure help... hooting over this and still praying. What a Great God we serve to allow you this moment in time! love ya, dad & mom too!

grannimcd said...

My life would be soooo boring if I didn't have your stories and updates from your cuties kiddos.....