Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ever Eat an Igneous Rock?

We are learning about rocks in Kindergarten this month. I know ... exciting. Shockingly the kids LOVE it. Really, really love it. (Obviously I am not an outdoor girl!) Tomorrow we build a volcano ... I'm sure they went to bed with lava running through their head. They have only asked me a ZILLION times "WHEN are we going to make our volcanoes?!" I no longer have to answer them ... someone else usually says "She told us Wednesday. Wednesday." (You really have to say the Wednesday in a dreamy whispery voice. A voice full of hope and promise of the best day ever. I so hope it lives up to their expectatons!)

So, today I took chocolate chips and marshmallows and melted them to show how an igneous rock is formed. I really thought they wouldn't get the why for the chocolate creation ... I couldn't have been more wrong.

Bella told one of our assistants that we made the most delicous "igneous rock" (pump your fist in the air here ... because I did!) and that we had to use heat because that is how an igneous rock is formed (double pump your fist in the air) and that now we are going to eat our yummy igneous rock. YES! They remembered. They knew the why for it. They got it. Success for a teacher ... some days you just don't see it, but when you do, it makes every bad day worth it!

So, let that be a lesson to you who love and work with children. They will get it. Just pour it into them and they will get it. Oh, and if you can somehow work in chocolate, they will remember it even faster!

2 comments:

Al & Judy Melton said...

What a great way to teach about how the rocks were formed! They will never forget it! Way to go Tracy!

Laurie said...

Chocolate has a much bigger place in this world than anyone realizes!