Monday, January 17, 2011

To Dream, To Serve and To Rubberband

Today our country celebrates Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday (or King Luther's birthday as my class came to call him).   MOST schools had the day off ... due the fact that it is a national holiday.

Notice I said MOST ... we had school.  I will not grumble about it on May 20th ... but, I did grumble about it today.  

However, if we hadn't had school, we wouldn't have had a really cool day of service.  Each grade level did something to serve ... that is what has become Dr. King's legacy.  The fact that each of us has the opportunity to serve.

Kindergarten packed boxes for troops serving in Afghanistan.  We THOUGHT we would have enough to pack 12 boxes.
Clearly our cup runneth over ... because we were able to pack more than 12 boxes.
 We were able to pack 21 boxes for a platoon of Marines.  One of the Marines is the uncle of one of my students.  We pray for him every day.  And I do mean every day. Can't wait to hear what they think when they get them ... pray they know that they are loved and appreciated.
This may look like an ordinary rubberband to you.  Today it took on more significance in my classroom.  Half of my students got rubberbands this morning.  They were treated like royalty.  They got to sit in the coveted front row during calendar, got to get drinks, got stickers, and got to line up first for lunch.  My non-rubberband wearing friends were not feeling the rubberband love.  There was close to a mutiny in my classroom ... until the afternoon when friends with rubberbands had to give rubberbands to friends without.  And then it was done all over again.  

A lesson was learned.  I promise you it was not learned without complaining.  And there were declarations of "just wait until my mother hears about this!"  Hopefully it will be a lesson they carry in their hearts and live as they deal with others who may not look or act just like them.  My prayer is that they would love as Jesus loved ... color blind.

2 comments:

Allana Martian said...

You are a courageous woman to pull off the rubber band lesson! I have no doubt they will remember it for a long time! (If not forever!) Great idea! I may copy it.

Naw. I'm not that brave! =P

Jennifer McGregor said...

Loved the Rubberband. What a great lesson. I loved being your sister, I just know some of you is going to leech into me.