Saturday, December 5, 2009

Winter Wonderland

We knew when we went to bed on Thursday that Friday would bring snow.  I was praying for a snow day.  It  became apparent that the teachers were "out prayed" by the parents when I woke up in the morning and not a flake in sight! 

God has a sense of humor.  At 5 minutes to 8:00 the snow started.  My kiddos come in at 8:00.  It didn't take long for the pronouncement to be made that IT WAS SNOWING!  

Let's just try to do the math ... 2 weeks until Christmas break.  16 Kinderfriends.  Snow.  

Oh, my day was going to be loooooong.

We were dismissed at 1:00.  By then the snow was really coming down.  Dean had called to let me know that it was sticking at home.  Torrey and I couldn't wait to get home to the snow ... and the fun!


 
And, this is what the house looked like when I pulled up.  For a minute I thought I might be in New England ... but then I came to my senses and remembered the heat of the summer.  But, it sure did look pretty!
 

Zoey loved the snow!  Which totally took us by surprise since she is a bit of a prima dona about getting her paws wet.  If she suspects the grass is the least bit damp in the morning she refuses to step one paw on it ... we have to push her out onto the grass to go to the bathroom.

But, the snow?  We couldn't get her out of it.  

 
 
Zack, on the other hand, wasn't feeling the snow in the beginning.  He was content to squeeze his fat self into Zoey's bed and stay in where it was warm.  Smart dog!
 

It snowed for most of the day.  By the time it was over we had a good two inches of snow on the ground.  I'm sure two inches of snow is nothing to our New England peeps ... but, please remember the sheer joy we felt during last years monumental snow fall.  Two inches was magical.  Absolutely magical!

 
 
 


 
When we got home, Zack was finally done sticking his nose up in the air over the snow.  He enjoyed getting out in it ... but, I think it helped to have Torrey and the rest of the fam outside with him.

 
 
Zoey didn't care if she was out with anyone or not.  It didn't take us too long to realize that she was determined to eat ALL of the snow in the backyard.  Guess we should get her a snow cone machine for Christmas!
 

I would love to tell you that Torrey knew exactly how to make a snow ball.  But, she is a Southern girl.  She didn't know that she could put the snow ball on the ground and roll it.  If we hadn't given her a few pointers, I'm sure her snowman would have fit in the palm of her hand!

 
  A girl and her snowball.  This one is for my sister who asked "Where's the snow?" during the great snowfall of last year.  She's a funny one my sister.
 

 
Zack was very interested in the snowball.  We soon discovered it was because he wanted to "mark" it as his own.  Boy dogs can be disgusting.



  And, this is what happens when you learn that if you roll your itty bitty snowball on the ground it will become HUGE.  Do I need to say that Zack was beside himself?!
 

Dean thought it would be a good idea to try to pick up the snowball.  Here's the rest of the story ... said snowball was heavy.  Very very heavy.  Said snowball dropped on the ground.  Said snowball cracked in two.  Now Zack has two snowballs to "mark" as his own.

 
 
This would be as far as I went to actually getting on the snow.  Two steps.  I am so glad to be living in the South.  So glad.
 

The great snowfall of 2009 ... it really was great.  And, it brought great joy to a family who rarely sees snow!
 
 
 

3 comments:

Jennifer McGregor said...

Great pictures! And you actually DID get snow! Really pretty... but I'll keep the Florida weather:)

jaywalker said...

i love the last picture. LOVE IT!

grannimcd said...

We had NONE of that.....oh yes, it snowed, but didn't stick to anything......do I need to tell you how happy I was?!?!?!? There is a reason I live in Texas (no snow)