Wednesday, December 9, 2009

When You Speak Too Soon ...

You know that saying, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch"?  Well, I counted chickens before they hatched earlier this week.

As in I said Torrey was better ... when in fact she was posing.  She seemed better in the early evening, but by 8:00 she was sliding downhill.

I was, of course, a FANTASTIC mother.  Because I may or may not have told her she WAS going to school tomorrow and she WAS going to be happy about it.

When she was still falling apart in the morning, cooler heads prevailed and she stayed home.

Which means, Dean stepped in and sent her back to bed.  

Hey!  We can't all wear our "Mother of the Year" pins every day.  

She did go back to school today and really seems to be just about back to her normal self.  

She has missed 10 (Ten.  TEN.  T-E-N.) days so far this year.  Texas law states the number of days you can miss a semester is 9.  We will be getting a letter.  And, if you are wondering how we know we will be getting a letter ... we got one our first year in Texas.  Welcome to Texas.  Good grief.

Have I mentioned I teach Kindergarten?  Have I mentioned that Christmas is right around the corner?  Have I mentioned that the weather hasn't been great the last few days?

Well, I do.  And, it is.  Also, it has been.

And, yet, somehow we are holding it together in my classroom.  Christmas.  Bad weather. Christmas.  An upcoming program.  Christmas.  I don't know how we are, but we are holding it together in my classroom.

I would like to call it the "Christmas Miracle of 2009".  And, I sure am hoping I haven't jinxed it by typing that.  But, you can be assured that if there is any change in anything tomorrow you can check back here and that sentence will be deleted.  

In the midst of all the hoopla going on, there have been a few funny things said in my room.  Let's see ... where to begin?

Serick called me "Mommy" today.  (I get called "Mommy" a lot.  I mean A LOT.  The first few times it happens the kids giggle.  I hate for any of my kiddos to feel embarrassed, so I told them that I think it is a great compliment to be called "Mommy" because it means they love me so.)  So, as soon as he said it, he looked at me and said, "I must love you so."  He can be a bit of a scalliwag, but, let me tell you, he is something else.

And, this ... it had been misting off and on all day yesterday.  It would have been our 3rd or 4th day to miss playground.  I kept checking to see if we could go out.  Finally, on the 3rd time out, the sun was out and it was dry, so I told them we were going out.  Noah ran across the room and said, "I must give you a hug!"

Never come between a boy and his playground.  Ever.

And, that, my friends, is all I've got.  May your Thursday be filled with things that make your heart burst with thankfulness ... even if it is semi-control in a Kindergarten classroom and a daughter who makes it to school two days in a row!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Hey, the CDC asked schools to look at their attendance policies because of H1N1. Here's hoping they understand at least a little. Torrey, I'm glad you're feeling better.