Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Commentary on the Snow

(Disclaimer ... I wanted to put words with the last post, but, for some reason it was underlining everything and it was making me crazy. So, I posted it and here are my thoughts on the day)

It snowed in Houston, TX today. Snow. Actual snow. I grew up in the snow, but, I dare say there hasn't been a snowfall that brought me as much joy as this one. Go figure! It didn't stick. It wasn't enough to make a snow ball. There won't be a snow day tomorrow. There will be no snow angels. But, it brought joy, joy, joy.

Dean called to let us know snow had been spotted at his office. Torrey and I were at school and before you knew it, she was out the door with a gaggle of staff kids. Oh, how they ran. Their laughter still makes me smile. I'm sure you heard them wherever you are! We hurried home to make sure we got pictures ... she and Zack stayed out in it for quite awhile. Running, laughing and just marveling at the wonder of it all.

Yesterday into today have been rough. Yesterday in Houston was muggy and humid ... and a balmy 78 degrees. Last night the front rolled in ... or rather stormed in as it came with fast, fast winds (we just lived through the hurricane ... we don't need reminders!) and suddenly it was cold. No, freezing! This morning, it was rainy and cold ... very, very cold. (I had to stop for gas because I didn't want to stop last night since it was so windy. Who knew?!) It was gray all day, but one friend in my class was convinced it was going to snow, so we were on "snow patrol". Two weeks before Christmas. 19 Kindergartners. Cold weather. Possibility of snow. No playground. No matter how you do the Math, it does not lead to a good outcome! I didn't believe the snow would come. I couldn't believe the snow would come. But, come it did. And, with it ... JOY!

This morning, I woke to news I wasn't expecting. Not anything that affects Dean and I, but someone we love. And, we hurt for him. We terribly hurt. Just like the snow today, we have to hope that "snow" is coming. We have to believe that "snow" is coming. We have to look forward to the "snow" that is coming. And, with that "snow", will come joy ... joy that will make you run around like a fool just so you can fully experience that joy. We pray that it will come quickly for you ... and, until then, we are ready to stand in the gap for you because we truly do love you! And, YOU know who YOU are!

And, so we look forward to tomorrow and what it will bring ... um, Lord, could we please ask for warmer weather in Houston?!

4 comments:

grannimcd said...

Snow -- schmow ----
I live in the cold northern climes of the Houston area and I saw not even one flake...... and I am so happy! I am happy for the no snow !!!!

Tracy said...

How in the world did you miss it? All of Houston saw it and marveled at it! It was coming down fast and furious for awhile. Biggest flakes ever ... you know what they say about Texas!

Laurie said...

Tracy, if you like snow that much, you can fly to NH for Christmas where we have a 60% chance of getting snow. :)

Steve said...

Thanks Tracy