Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Thoughts from an Exhausted Mind

I'm tired tonight. I mean plumb worn out. My brother and sisters will tell you that when I am tired I am not worth a plug nickel. They think I don't know this, but it was always when I was tired or sleeping that they would ask me for things ... because I would always say "yes". There have been things I have been mulling over in my head the past few days ... BEWARE ... who knows what I will come up with. I am really tired.

-Today I watched a Dad pray with his daughter at lunch. And, it is a dad who a few years ago walked a road none of us would want to walk. Ya'll, the national media can be downright cruel. But, here he was setting an example for his pumpkin girl ... a dad who lives out his faith in front of his child? Priceless.

-Fall has arrived in Texas. Fall has arrived in Texas. I repeated myself because it is glorious news (and, in my exhaustion I am a bit giddy!) It is 70 degrees right now. 70 degrees. I could write a song I am so happy. It has been the hottest of summers ... a LOW of 100 degrees is not right. At all. Yesterday we woke up to a steamy 87 degrees ... we wake up at 5:00 in the o'dark early morning. And, today ... bliss.

-Torrey's bathroom is finished. Well, almost. I need to decorate it now ... and, find a shower curtain. Which, is turning out to be harder than I thought. Oh, shower curtain makers, can't you make ONE measly pink and green shower curtain ... since it is Torrey's signature colors and all?!

-I ordered a book so I could really know how to use my camera. I studied the books for days to make sure I got exactly the right one. I had Dean help me with my selection. The book arrived on Friday. Oh, I was giddy. I decided to make some coffee (it is pumpkin spice season after all) and study my book so I could learn how to use the camera I have had since the summer of 2006. I read the first paragraph and knew instantly I had a problem. It said something about how Nikon surprised the camera community by coming out with the D60 in January 2008. Ok, so if I got my camera in the summer of '06, exactly what camera do I have? The Nikon D50. For the past year I have deluded myself into thinking I had the D60 ... not that any critical decisions were made based on this fact. Until now. Can I just say "GRRRRRR". Book went back. I still don't know how to really use my camera. Bother.

-We are studying bugs in Kindergarten. Which means growing butterflies. I had a four-class supply of caterpillar larvae shipped to our house. I sort of left them alone for two days and when I went to move them to their new home they appeared to be dead. We wrote the company an email. I felt sorry for myself (this was the day after the camera book incident after all) I actually threw the caterpillars in the garbage ... only to retrieve them hours later in case the company needed them back as proof they were really dead. Imagine our surprise when the next day we realized the caterpillars were really alive! They were just playing possum. Exciting ... but I still have a Nikon D50 camera. Maybe I should put it in the garbage for a few hours and it will turn into a D60?!

-Bella lives. I know that in May you grieved because my funny "Bella Blog Tales" would end with her moving up to 1st grade. Not so. Sweet girl has been sporting a pair of glasses for the past 3 days. The lenses are fake and on the left side they are bent a little so they sit on her face askew. (I'm sure that mental picture is causing you to giggle ... I beg of you to read on ...) She dropped her glasses on the floor and was on her hands and knees, with her hands in front of her, and her eyes closed saying "I can't see to find my glasses. I can't see to find my glasses." Um, open your eyes. Man, do I miss her in my room all day!

-But, do not fear ... God has blessed me with a classroom of some of the funniest kids who keep me in stitches most of the day. I may just put them all in a bus and take them on the road ... ala Last Comic Standing!

-I got a new phone. And, this weekend Tracy entered the new millennium. I got a BlackBerry. I am too cool for school. Today I tried to text Dean and ended up calling him instead. I will figure this new phone out if it doesn't kill me first! I am pleased to say that I am getting pretty good at "Brick Breaker" ... up to Level 5. I am also pleased to say that my new phone has my phone number listed right on the front screen. Actually, Torrey would be the one who is happy to say that the number is listed on the front screen since she was tired of having to tell me my cell phone number. All the time. One of my summer goals was to learn the number ... almost accomplished ... I learned the wrong area code. Whatever.

-And, today my new phone did the little ringy thing it does to let me know I just got a text or email. In the middle of class. My kinder friends immediately let me know that my phone rang ... it was so loud I am pretty sure they heard it in the Starbucks across the street! One little buddy asked, "Do you want me to get that for you?!" When I told him no, he said, "It could be important." True.

-Mary Poppins is coming to Houston. As in the Broadway musical ... not the actual Mary Poppins. That would be weird. And a bit creepy. I am telling you this because I really want to go and see it and sometimes my blog makes that happen because my husband, who I really love, reads my blog.

-And, that could be the end of all I got. That, or I have totally run out of steam. Tomorrow is "Apple Day" in Kindergarten ... oh the insanity. I am off to get apples ready to make applesauce. Man! I love my job!

5 comments:

jaywalker said...

austin's montessori school made applesauce yesterday from apples! it's definitely fall season! and the whole apple thing really made an impression on him.

Laurie said...

I have a Nikon D-60 :)))) Your story about Bella was so funny. I don't know her but I can just imagine her doing that.

Jennifer McGregor said...

Oh man, I love Bella. In fact, I think I will encourage someone to name their kid BELLA just to see if she MIGHT be that funny!

Steve said...

Tracy, I figured it out! Send Torrey to see Laurie, cause Torrey knows how to bring home things that don't belong to her! I'm not saying who taught her that, but it wasn't me!

Al & Judy Melton said...

mom said go see mary poppins it is phenominal! I say; "Go Bella!"