Saturday, September 5, 2009

When God's Miracles are not Our Miracles

I first met Kelly when Torrey was 3. Our girls attended the same preschool. We attended the same church. I was instantly drawn to her kind and gentle ways. Torrey and Caroline were fast friends. When the girls started Kindergarten, we were thrilled that they were in the same class. There is something special about your child's Kindergarten friends ... they are friends for life. And, the parents of those friends ... well, they are just something special.

Kelly was older than the rest of the moms in our class. She had been there and done that. Throughout that year she guided a group of inexperienced moms ... not by being bossy, but rather just by being. I am a better mom today because of Kelly. She became a mom I wanted to model. She used her words and ways to encourage. I have never heard her speak unkindness or be negative. She saw the best in others ... and through her example caused others to see the best too.

Kelly never spoke a word of unkindness of her husband, Rob. She had the utmost respect for him ... she guided us in the importance of putting our husbands first. She showed us the gift our respect and honor was to our husband. Kelly didn't just say it, she lived it.

One day Kelly shared with me how much God had blessed her family. Her first daughter was a miracle. She knew it. And, she gave God all the praise for the miracle of Becca. Eight years later, God again blessed them with the gift of Caroline. She said, "God has been very good to the Baker family." The past nine years, Kelly's words have echoed in my heart. Oh, God has been very good to the Townsend family too. Kelly's words remind me of that often.

When the girls were in the 3rd grade, Kelly was diagnosed with cancer. It was a shocking diagnosis that ripped through our circle of friends. Kelly fought ... and, she didn't fight alone. As much as those around her did, it was our children who made me the most proud. They circled Caroline and protected her like a mother bear. Not only because they loved Caroline, but because they loved Kelly.

We cheered when Kelly went into remission. We sorrowed when the cancer came back. We prayed for a miracle.

On Thursday, we got the news that that day could be the day Kelly could meet Jesus. The family was praying for a miracle. We were praying for a miracle. Later, Torrey received a text from Caroline saying "My mom is happy and healthy and with Jesus."

And, so, Kelly's miracle came. Not in the way we planned. Not in the way we hoped. Not in the way we desired. But, it came. And, Heaven is a bit sweeter today.

Kelly lives in the lives of everyone she touched. Torrey is a better Torrey because Kelly loved her. I am a better person because Kelly loved me. I carry a bit of her with me where ever I go. It is my prayer that I will be like Kelly ... and that others will know who I am and what I love because of the life I live.

Kelly lives. Not because of doctors or man ... but because of Christ. And, that was all the miracle Kelly needed. It is the only miracle any of us need.

No comments: