Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What Are You Reading?

This week I have read or am in the middle of reading some books that have caused me to go "hmmmm".  And, I love that.  Because when I read something I want it to linger with me for far longer than the time it takes me to actually read it.

I read this book to my class ... and I know I caused them to think I was a bit crazy when I started to cry.  It is the story of a Masai tribe in Kenya who hears of the attacks on our country on September 11th.  To the Masai, the cow "is life".  They asked a diplomat from the American embassy to come and talk to their elders.  When he got there he was shocked to find that this wasn't an ordinary meeting ... it was a celebration.  The Masai tribe told the diplomat how sad they were for what happened to our country and they just wanted him to know they were sorry.  They then played the "Star Spangled Banner" and when the diplomat wept so did the tribe.  They then gave 14 cows to our country.  Their best.  Today in the middle of the village is a pen with our country's cows ... which now number 35.

The Masai people are known as mighty and fierce warriors, however they are quick to show kindness and compassion to help right a wrong.  May we all be like the Masai people ... ready to give our best when we see someone in need.

(Warning ... this book WILL make you cry!)



On the morning of May 22, 2008 we woke to the terrible news that Maria Sue Chapman had been killed in a terrible accident.  I wept.  For a stranger girl.  I could not imagine the pain this sweet family has endured.  They have chosen to allow God to be glorified ... and He has.   

I have woken up in the middle of the night with the Chapman children's names on my heart.  God is like that ... when we need Him most He calls an army to surround us.  Maria would have started Kindergarten that next year and I carry her with me each day ... because I don't know how many days my littles have ... I just want to make sure each one counts for Jesus.

I read this book in half a day.  I.  Could.  Not.  Put.  It.  Down.  

Warning ... this book WILL make you cry!


And, finally, I am rereading Book one in The Zion Chronicles series.  Israel is on the verge of becoming a state.  The scrolls have been discovered after being hidden for 2,000 years (coincidence?  I don't think so!)  Great Britain is about to pull out of Israel leaving the Grand Mufti in charge.  Oh, and there has been a lock down on the Old City.  

I have been to Israel (twice!).  My parents are currently there.  The names of the places aren't just faraway spots to me ... they are real and I can picture them in my head.  Sadly, the struggle that is occurring for Israel in the book continues today.  Happily, we know the ultimate ending.  Oh Glorious Day!

And, there you have it ... what are you reading?



4 comments:

jaywalker said...

i'm about to dig into animal, vegetable, miracle, by barbara kingsolver. apparently she will tell me how to slaughter my chickens. i know you are laughing over there, STOP IT! :)

Tracy said...

You are going to kill the hens? Wait a minute ... what exactly will we be having for Thanksgiving?!!

grannimcd said...

OK I admit it. I am behind the times... I am almost finished with "The Help". I know most of the rest of the reading world finished this months ago. Anyway, I am reading it.
And I hate to admit that the next book on my list is called "The Science of Sexy". No, it is not what it seems. It is a book that comes highly recommended by an old friend who knows that I need help in learning how to dress this old gal.
Also, I really want to read the Peacemaker b'cuz our ladies' Bible study on Wed is doing a study on a related book. No books to make me cry. But thanks Tracy for the inspiration and insight.

Tracy said...

Love love love "The Help". They are making it into a movie. Can't wait. Will check out The Peacemaker.