Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Jury Duty Schmury Duty

I was a good citizen today. I went to Jury Duty for the first time in my life. I had to be there at 12:30. When I got there, they had us make a line. Outside. Outside in Texas. I suddenly had the feeling that today wasn't going to go the way I hoped. We were seated (there were well over 100 people there ... maybe closer to 150) We were given the chance to go before the judge and ask for a postponement. I thought about it, only because I have a couple of workshops to go to next week. I decided to take my chances.

They pulled 28 people and sent them to the real courthouse to go through a jury pool. And, then they made us wait. A long time. They could have at least put on Michael Jackson's funeral for us ... since we are a nation in mourning, after all.

And, after waiting for 90 minutes, the clerk came up and said this to us:

Knock, Knock
Whose there?
Lucky
Lucky who?
Lucky you ... you get to go home

And a comedian was born ... and 100 people ran from the courthouse before they had a chance to change their minds!

I did dvr Michael Jackson's funeral. I am obviously not proud. It is summer. What can I say? There isn't anything good on TV. I had to stop it before it even began ... when the gospel choir started to sing "Soon and very soon we are going to see the King ..." and then his casket was wheeled in. The circus is coming to Los Angeles tomorrow ... evidently it got started one day early. Good grief.

For those of you wondering ... it was 100.9 in San Antonio today. Still no word from or about Torrey. No news is good news.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Dean, please oh please buy your wife some dvd's to watch! Tracy, watching paint dry would have been better than watching that freak show!

grannimcd said...

I had jury duty once in Detroit.....you got off waaaayyy easier than I did>>>>> but there is not enough space here to recap my experience.....