Monday, August 4, 2008

Storm's A'Comin'!

So, I woke up this morning (at 5:30 no less) to this ... a hurricane watch (or warning ... whatever is worse!) Evidently a hurricane is due to hit around the Port Arthur area tomorrow morning ... and, for those of you who are wondering, Port Arthur is basically Houston. Which is basically where I live. Oh, wait, we are the southern suberb of Houston. Close to Galveston. Close to the Gulf. Close to Edouard. Good times.

Dean is gone. I live in a neighborhood of trees. Big trees. I think we live in the 100 year flood plan (what DOES that really mean?) And, best of all we are surrounded by levees. I guess I could leave ... but, that would mean I leave with the 12 year old, the 80 year old mother in law, 1 dog and 2 cats. And, then where would I go ... because is there really a motel that will take a woman in the middle of a hurricane with a 12 year old, mother in law, 1 dog and 2 cats? And, so we will stay. And, not fear.

I am remarkably not worried (although I did change an appointment for tomorrow to today "just in case" and because I have big plans to just stay home and watch movies). We have done this before ... 4 times the Townsend family has lived through a hurricane ... Charley, Fran, Jeanne (2004) and Wilma (2005). I was reminded this morning of one of my 1st graders during the 2004 hurricane season when we were expecting our 3rd hurricane in 6 weeks ... when I told them we wouldn't have school the next day because of the storm you could just see it all on their faces ... exhaustion. We were tired of the storms ... and a bit frustrated. Sweet Cole (who to give you background, when he would pray would cause me more than once to peek up because I just knew heaven had been opened up!) summed it up like this, "Guys, we can do this. God knows we can because we already have. Just think of the other kids who would be scared if the storm came to them." And a child shall lead them.

And, now I go to get storm supplies ... water and popcorn (because what good is a movie with out popcorn?!) And, to Edouard I say "Bring It!"

Phillipians 4:13 "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

1 comment:

grannimcd said...

You all can always come up north to the old sister's house -- yes, you, the 12 year old, the m-i-l, the one dog and the 2 cats.... and bring movies and popcorn enough to share. Otherwise, just hunker down.....