Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"Hurricane" Update

So, to update you on the "hurricane" that was supposed to hit this morning ... there was ... wait for it ... nothing! Barely any rain ... and, when it did rain, it just sprinkled. No wind to speak of. And so, the Great Spider Massacre of 2008 was for nothing. Our house is back to normal (i.e. the "spider chairs" are back where they belong ... on the front porch) We did enjoy a quiet day at home ... and there was a movie watched ("College Road Trip" which is so funny ... especially when I realized that the dad in the movie was so Dean ... good luck going away to college Torrey!)

Today reminded me of the 1999 hurricane season (what? doesn't everyone measure time by the hurricanes?!) when school was cancelled because of the supposed arrival of some tropical storm (I think Harvey). I was jubilant. Torrey, who was 3, was not feeling it ... she cried. No, she sobbed. I did what any mother would do who lives in Orlando ... I said "Let's go to Disney World!" And, that is what we did and the day still lives as the best day ever (OK, so I realize we have a lot of those in our house!) Because of the supposed storm, there was hardly anyone there ... oh, and did I mention that the day was gorgeous! I remember calling Dean from Dumbo to tell him that we had only been in line for 10 minutes (still the "Dumbo Line Record for the Townsend Family"!) We went on about 10 rides and Torrey soon learned that "hurricane days" can be FUN! Good times!

2 comments:

jaywalker said...

i also have fond memories of the 1999 hurricane season. or maybe it was 1998. mike came down to visit me in west palm beach and school was closed because of the "hurricane" headed right toward us. turns out it was a wind storm. we went to the beach to see the waves and people were actually surfing out there. but it was great because SCHOOL WAS CANCELLED.

jaywalker said...

oh, and re: your last post:

I HOPE YOU GOT GLAD!!!! tee hee....