Monday, August 4, 2008

I Hate Spiders!

First, let me say I am a responsible homeowner. Responsible. Not smart. The hurricane is coming and we got an email from our neighborhood association reminding us to bring in outside stuff. I, of course, knew this. (I am not a rookie ... see previous post) And, since it really makes me mad when people do not take in their "stuff" before a hurricane (there was an ugly drain pipe episode during a previous hurricane ... if you live across the street from us and your drainpipe falls off during a previous hurricane, you may want to lock your garage because Dean will recruit neighbors to help him put it in your garage!) I knew I needed to bring in the rocking chairs from the front porch. I love those rocking chairs, but we never sit in them. Never. First of all, it is disgustingly hot in Texas ... imagine an oven and add a few hundred degrees! Secondly, they are full of dust from the construction next door ... and spiders. Texas spiders are BIG. When people say "Everything is bigger in Texas", they are only talking about the spiders. But, I do not want to be branded as the "bad neighbor" (which is also why I make sure we have great trick or treat candy ... but that is another post ... or a sign I need therapy ... you decide), so I brought in the chairs. And, with the chairs the bugs. And, when I made the decision to bring in the chairs, I knew I would be bringing in the bugs. Hence the part about me not being smart. Oh, and remember when I said Dean was gone in the earlier post? Still gone. Which meant that I had to be the one to get the bugs. Torrey wasn't much help ... although she did get a baseball bat. I got them (yes, "them", as in more than one, as in several, as in MANY!) with papertowels which meant I couldn't flush them. Spiders are fast ... and since I wasn't sure I had killed them I put them in plastic bags. Torrey freaked when I put what we really think was a spider egg nest in a ziplock bag ... she thought I was going to keep it. And, I thought she knew me! I must brag for a minute and say that she looked at me with a look of "You are the smartest mom ever!" when I told her the reason I put the spider egg nest in the ziplock bag ... um, because I didn't want to wake up in the morning to a hurricane AND a kitchen full of tiny spiders! I think I got them all ... and just in case I didn't I am going to barricade myself in my room. And pray.

And, so we hope that the hurricane comes soon. I have rocking chairs I NEED to get out of our house. A dog that won't stop barking. And, I got an email from the neighborhood association that says the power company expects power outages (I think the entire power company needs to go to a Tony Robbins "Power of Positive Thinking" seminar!). Oh, and did I say that Dean is gone? Boy do I miss him!

No comments: