Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Is it Wrong that I was Sad?

So on Sunday Torrey and I packed up her American Girl dolls ... forever. She has decided that with the room remodel she doesn't want them up anymore. I avoided the task like the plague because it really made me sad ... my girl isn't a girl anymore. WAAAAAAH! I am so proud of who she is becoming, but I am going to miss those dolls. When in NYC with my sisters a few years ago, I dragged them in the store ... they still tease me about the fact that I paid more for an outfit for a doll than I would for myself! When she was in Second Grade, we took a girls trip to Chicago with our friends the Chevaliers to go to the first American Girl store. The man on the plane couldn't believe we were going all that way for a DOLL STORE ... and we couldn't believe he WASN'T going to the store! Melinda and I couldn't believe our good luck when part way through the day a "personal shopper" discovered us ... I'm thinking the good luck was hers since we bought so much stuff we had to ship it home! And, on Torrey's first trip to NYC, she had Kailey's hair done at the doll salon (oh the insanity!) and ran into a friend from our school in Orlando (ironically enough when I was there with my sisters the year before we ran into a different family from our school in Orlando ... here is where you hum "It's a Small World After All") I knew the day would come and on the advice of my friend Colette, I saved the boxes ... but, I must admit I was a little gloomy that the day was actually here. Later in the day she gave me a gift ... she saved two to put back on her shelf ... I was thrilled! I KNEW she must have figured out how bummed I was about her growing up and she wanted to make it easier for me. If only. Truth is they have dresses that will match her new room color scheme. Oh well ... at least they were saved!

1 comment:

a tom said...

I know this comment is a bit late, sorry.
Taylor just got her first Samantha doll from grammie this wk. She is so excited. Her hair has been washed(didn't know that could be done..shock..shock) she has been dressed and redressed in her 3 outfits and I believe she is now ready for bed. =) I love seeing her carry her all over the house and take her outside to swing with her. So I guess I am now where you were. She now wants the Nellie doll and ALL the movies that are out there. And yes she knows about the American Girl line in Bath & Body Works. sigh... I will have so much fun looking for things to add to her collection. Wes is just hoping that it don't break the bank. =)