Monday, October 4, 2010

What's For Dinner?

There are some nights I hate that question.  Tonight was not that night.  I am attempting to link up with Lyndsie over at A Love Worth Waiting For ... she is hosting Monday's Meals.  If my pasta bake doesn't make your mouth water, go over there and find something that will.  And, if you haven't checked out her blog yet, go.  Go now.  You won't be sorry.

In the Spring I discovered this little gem.  Revolutionary.  My family actually got dinner again.  Don't judge.  I teach Kindergarten people!  (I am so making that into a shirt.)  Then I discovered that there was a sequel.  *Hallelujah!*  This recipe comes from the sequel.  Dean and Torrey love it ... and, trust me they are a tough crowd.

So, shall we cook?  And, to delight you, there are pictures.  Please don't get too excited ... I'm no Pioneer Woman.


Start with some bowtie pasta ... if you want to be fancy you can call it farfalle.  Cook to package directions.


Brown some meat ... and ignore the dog biscuits on the counter.


Add some spaghetti sauce.  I do not make my own sauce ... because Ragu can make it so much better.  My go to sauce is the Chunky Ragu with tomato, garlic and onion.


Melt some cream cheese and milk in the microwave.  Whisk it smooth when it is soft.


Add some parmesan cheese and sour cream.  The recipe also calls for bell pepper ... add if you want.  I do not add it because my family liking what I cook is my goal.


Pour the cream cheese, milk, parmesan cheese and sour cream mixture in the bottom of an 9x9 greased casserole dish.


Then pour the cooked bowtie pasta over the top.  Do not mix.


Then top with the spaghetti sauce and meat mixture.  I put mozzarella cheese on the top tonight.  You could also put just parmesan cheese.  You pick.


Bake it.  I throw some frozen garlic bread in near the end.  Our favorite these days is ciabatta garlic cheese bread.  


And there you have it ... somewhere in that terrible lighting is a delicious dinner.  Add a salad and it is as easy as pie ... that is if you buy your pie from the farm stand like I do!  Enjoy!

Beef Pasta Bake
(Don't Panic More Dinner's in the Freezer)

2 C. bowtie pasta, uncooked
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 t. garlic salt
3 C. spaghetti sauce
6 oz. cream cheese, cubed
2/3 C. milk
1/2 C. sour cream
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3/4 C. grated parmesan cheese, divided

*I crossed through all the things I omit.  I am all for easy. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook bowtie pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.  Brown beef, onion, and garlic until beef is no longer pink; drain.  Add spaghetti sauce and garlic salt; simmer for 10 minutes.  In a separate bowl, combine cream cheese and milk.  Microwave 1-2 minutes stirring once.  Stir with whisk until blended.  Stir in sour cream, green pepper, and 1/2 C. parmesan cheese.  Place cream cheese mixture in lined 9x9 casserole dish.  Spread cooked pasta on top of cream cheese mixture.  Top with beef mixture and remaining 1/4 C. parmesan cheese.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, covered.  Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes more, until bubbly.






2 comments:

jaywalker said...

i have the first don't panic cookbook. our favorite, and i haven't made it in a long time but SO good... is the chicken in dry onion soup mix and catalina dressing! sounds weird but it is the PERFECT mix of salty and sweet.

Jennifer McGregor said...

We made this recipe tonight, Tracy, and it was DELICIOUS!!! EVERYONE loved it, which is HUGE in our house!