Monday, March 23, 2009

Thankful

The Friday before Spring Break was not a banner day for me. It was probably the worst day in my teaching career. I left for Spring Break not really caring if I came back. I wasn't really feeling it when I went in to school today.

And, then one of the other teachers poked her head in my door as she walked by and said, "I'm really thankful today." And proceeded to keep going. I (somewhat cynically) asked "Why?!" I pondered her answer for most of the day. She said that she was just thankful as she walked in the door because everyone in her family was healthy, they all had jobs and they all were happy ... and, that was all she needed.

I am quick to be thankful for the big or amazing things. For vacations. For beautiful sunrises. For raises or accolades at work. For a beautiful home. For warm weather. But, why is it I find it difficult to be thankful for the every day things ... why is it hard to just live a life of thankfulness? To say (and mean it), Lord, thank you for this ... even if the this is a trial.

And, so today there are many things I am thankful for ... for Dean and Torrey. That Gram is with us. For two crazy dogs and two moody cats. For the fact that I knew what was for dinner before I pulled in the driveway tonight. For a good day at school. For sweet friends. For family that I adore. For lessons learned. For a path we haven't traveled before knowing that God is ordering our steps. For the fact that I didn't get yelled at today (I told you the day before Spring Break was rough!) Simple things. Not fancy, just plain. But, they are enough.

What are you thankful for today?

5 comments:

Steve said...

I am thankful for supportive family when the trials do come. In other words Tracy, I am thankful for you!

Al & Judy Melton said...

I am thankful for a wonderful wife, 7 children (yep, 7! Count 'em... Laurie, Tim, Tracy, Dean, Steve, Jennifer and Ryan!) and six grandchildren that love the Lord and serve Him. I am thankful that Judy and I do not lay awake nights praying for the salvation of our family! I am thankful for the good life that we share together and am looking forward to spending time with our family soon and very soon! dad

Al & Judy Melton said...

OH Yeah... and Tracy, I am thankful that YOU are back to work... because that means we are just that much closer to Easter!!! gonna have so much fun...

Instead of coloring eggs, let's just paint Carly!

dad

grannimcd said...

I, too, am thankful that you didn't get yelled at at school. I was praying for you all day in that regard. The thankful stuff was just an extra blessing I guess.

Jennifer McGregor said...

Carly's all for being painted! She's REALLY hoping that wasn't a joke.

I'm thankful to be the "family that's adored"... i love being adored:) Carly didn't fall far from the tree!!!