Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Waiting for the Next Thing

Torrey's birthday always falls during Spring Break. Well, almost always. Spring Break was one week later the year she turned 9. We started school in August with her gleefully looking forward to spending her birthday at school. She told her third grade teacher on day one she would have her birthday during school this year (oh, sweet Mrs. Bamford ... you still rank as the most amazing first year teacher ever!) She talked about it often. I mean OFTEN! We had big plans for the fun she would have at school that day ... we brought donuts for first thing, I bought her lunch and there was a lunch snack for her friends too ... we went all out. And, then that night she told us how she really felt about her first "school" birthday. She said, "A birthday at school isn't everything it's cracked up to be." Truth from a 9 year old.

My Kindergarteners ask often (OFTEN) "What's next?!" What? Isn't this entertaining enough? I tell them to enjoy this moment because they will never have "this" time again.

And, today, I convicted myself. I, too, am always waiting for the "next thing." I have said umpteen times this past week, He only gets four years. (1-20-13 ... bring it soon, Jesus!) I am counting the days for Spring Break. I am looking at the next camera. Planning what we will do next weekend before we have even lived this weekend. I am waiting to know where we will be. We eat a meal and begin to plan the next one for crying out loud. I started this year with a plan to enjoy EACH moment ... and, here we are, February 10th, and I am sad to say I haven't exactly followed through. I so want to enjoy each moment ... at this moment, Torrey is downstairs laughing and playing with the dogs and you should hear the little one running and panting, panting, panting. And, our girl is just joyful. I want to remember this time. I want to etch each of her last days as twelve in my memory forever, and not wish them away to get her to thirteen and the fun of that day.

I heard a song for the first time in the car this morning and it spoke to my heart ... and convicted me. It is OK to wait for the next thing, but live in this moment. Live in this day. Live in this time. And, enjoy every moment of it. God gave it to you ... because He loves you so.

While I'm Waiting
John Waller

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience

While I'm waiting
I will serve you
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
yes, I will wait

2 comments:

jaywalker said...

i really like that song... thank you for posting it... now i'm off to i-tunes!! :)

grannimcd said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement and exhortation. You are speaking directly to me! Thanks for who you are and that you open your heart (and home most of the time) to those who love you (and hopefully to those you love too.... I speak of myself, the old guy and our annoying dog!) Sorry you have been having a hard time lately, but so glad that God is speaking to your heart (and mine through you). The words to that song are awesome --- and so are you!