Thursday, June 12, 2008

New Year -- New Kite

Before we left Texas, I must have thought 100 times, "Don't forget to bring a kite. Don't forget to bring a kite." Well, guess what I forgot?! Good grief! We must have been in NC about 30 minutes before Dean and Torrey were off to Kitty Hawk Kites to buy a new kite (to go along with the 1/2 dozen we have in the garage from the years I "forgot" to bring them!) We love to go to the beach at dusk to fly kites ... there is something magical about the beach at night. So, on our second night on the Outerbanks, we headed to the beach with Linda and Paul to fly Torrey's kite.
This year's kite is definitely a cutie! Torrey picked this one because it reminded her of our dog, Zack. And, when you have an "accidental" kite collection you really have to begin to get creative (because how many diamond shaped kites do you need?!)
We needed Paul's help to get the kite up in the air. Actually, the weather was perfect for flying kites ... I think Dean could have just put the thing on the beach and gotten it up in the air!
And, here is Dean flying the kite. I didn't get a picture of Torrey flying the kite because, well ...
she didn't! She felt the lure of the ocean instead! Poor Dean! He had to fly the thing all by himself! Oh well ... I am sure we will be back again another night! We were going to go out for ice cream afterwards, but the line had about 30 people in it (Paul thought they were all from one family since they all looked alike ... how he could tell that as we whizzed by at 40 mph I'll never know!) so, we stopped at the store and bought ice cream gallons instead! Who know's what adventures tomorrow will bring!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I think the kite looks like my Ranger! Hope you enjoyed your week. Missed you here!
Laurie