Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What I am Learning Lately

There are seasons in my life that I love.  And there are seasons in my life that I despise.  I'm not sure how I feel about this season ... but, y'all, I am trying to embrace it.  Ok ... and maybe squeeze the life out of it.  You got me.

Last Thursday truly summed up the season I am in.  I went completely out of my comfort zone and found myself sitting in the stands at the USA Track and Field Junior Olympics.  And, by comfort zone I totally mean out of the AC.  I was not created for outdoor living.


I snapped this one for Tors and Gabs when we first got there.  I am positive it is when we first got there because they aren't dripping in sweat.  Who was the smarty pants who decided to have a track and field event in Houston in July?! At one point Dean muttered, "Even my eyelids are sweating!"  He got in trouble for making us laugh ... because it was too hot to laugh!

We endured the heat because Torrey's bestie, Kirsten, was running the 2000M Steeplechase.  This was her fourth Junior Olympics, and we just knew she was going to win it all.

When it was time for her race, the girls lined up, they shot off the gun and immediately shot it again because someone false started.  The girls lined up again and this time they were off without an incident.  We weren't sitting where we could see the start line and as the girls came around for the first lap, Kirsten wasn't in the group.  We started asking questions and quickly learned that she had false started and therefore was disqualified from the race.  Just like that she was done.  No second chance. No do over. (New rules ... please feel free to write a letter to whoever.)

There were tears ... by all of us.  Because we knew how hard she had worked. She gave up a lot for that one race.  She was ready.  She should have won.  But that was not what happened.

But, guess what?! Today in Des Moines, Iowa, she ran again.  In another Junior Olympics.  Same race.  Completely different outcome.  She won the whole thing and is coming home with a gold medal.  Y'all.  I know an Olympic gold medalist.  

Please pause with me and ugly cry because when I got that news I did just that.  A little bit because I love Kirsten as if she were my own.  And a lot a bit because THAT is the season I am in ... one of trusting God to restore.  

Last Thursday was devastating.  It was terrible.  The worst.  But before we even got home, we had a text from Kirsten and in that text she gave it to Jesus.  In the midst of her hurt and frustration and anger she knew that He had a reason and she trusted Him.  

Y'all.  I want so desperately to be like Kirsten.  In the midst of the hurt and the anger and the frustration I want to completely trust Jesus.  I want to know deep within me that He has a purpose for it and that I will learn something good from it.  I don't want it to be just words ... I want it to be real.  This is my prayer for me  ... that I will flat out trust Him no matter where I land or what situation I am walking through or what hurt I am living.  

Because the hurt and the anger and the frustration and the fear do not have to last forever.  Restoration comes.  Or, maybe not.  Restoration or not, good or bad, AC or heat stroke ... I just want to live in complete trust that God has got my every "this".

1 comment:

Michael said...

i am Team Tracy all the way! you are an inspiration -jess