Saturday, November 1, 2014

A November of Thanks

I woke up this morning and it was not only November, but it felt like November.  55 degrees in Houston?  I'll take it!

There was a time when November was all about Thanksgiving.  Today?  Not so much.  We seem to skim over Thanksgiving to get right to Christmas.  And Christmas?  Somehow we have forgotten the whole meaning of Christmas because TINSEL! LIGHTS! PRESENTS!  I am challenging myself to blog everyday for the things I am thankful for.  I want to focus on God's blessings instead of the noise going on around me.

I lost a friend Thursday night.  Until she retired in May, she had taught across the hall from me for 7 years.  Her death was shocking and sad and devastating.  But Friday morning I needed to be back in my classroom with 18 littles ... who needed me to be normal.  

Y'all.  Friday was the hardest and sweetest day of my teaching career.  

There were many times I whispered over and over and over, "Thank you, Jesus."  Because my class of littles? They were healing.  They made me laugh.  They hugged me HARD ... not because they knew I was sad, but because they love me.  They brought me little happy's ... just because (A&M jello molds and a mani/pedi ... yes please!)  And they were not thrilled that my Halloween costume was the "lady who hands out candy" ... but when they found out Dean was going to be the "man who hands out candy"?  APPALLING!  Because WHY were we dressing in the same costume?!

Y'all.  I laugh HARD on a daily basis.

I wish I could post a picture of them ... but, well, I just can't (or won't).  I sobbed when I got my class list in August ... because my class is just that amazing.  I did not see Thursday night on that day, but God sure did.  And He gave me this class for Thursday night, for Torrey going off to college, and for days when didn't I think I would be able to smile ... He knew this year and He gave me 18 amazing littles.  More than once I have told Him that I know how much He loves me because of these kiddos.  

So on November 1st (and every day before and after) I am thankful for my class of 18.  I am thankful that I get the privilege to be their teacher ... I may not change their lives this year, but they have already changed mine!

No comments: