Thursday, February 11, 2010

Because of a Pearl Ring

My parents are back in Israel for the next 3 months.  Yes.  Three months.  Uno.  Dos.  Tres.  No matter how you count them, they equal a long time!  (Just ask Torrey!)


My friends and co-workers often ask about my parents.  And, then they ask the question.


"Doesn't their being in Israel scare you?"


And, today I can honestly answer, "No."  Which causes them to narrow their eyes and ask, "Really?"


Really.


If you had asked me that question in November 2008, I would have answered you differently.  Because during their first stint in the garden I was nervous.  I worried about them ... constantly.  Partly because of the fact that there is unrest in Israel.  Mostly because my parents seem to forget they are in their 60's ... and, they don't listen to us ... even when we give them strict instructions of what they can and cannot do.  I'm sure they so love when we do that!


God knows and understands when we are fearful.  He knows when that fear is real and when it is unnecessary.  He loves us and He wants us to remember that He is in control and that my parents are in His hands.  And, while He loves us, He really doesn't need our help.


He taught us that lesson with a pearl ring.


Oh, you read that correctly ... a pearl ring.


My father gave my mother a pearl ring ... with a white pearl and a black pearl.  She loved the ring.  Not because it was expensive, but because my dad gave it to her.  One day in Israel, she fell.  Thankfully, she wasn't hurt terribly and was able to finish her trip to the market.  When she got home, she realized the black pearl had fallen out of the setting.


And, so began the searching for the pearl.  My mom searched.  My dad searched.  They prayed.  They searched some more.  Friends prayed.  And, still no pearl.  It was assumed to have been lost forever.


Several days later, my parents were walking past the spot where my mom fell.  My dad looked in the road and there in a crevice in the tar of the road sat the black pearl.  Protected.  Safe.  Unharmed.


Just like that black pearl, my parents are resting in the crevice of our Heavenly Father's hand.  Protected.  Safe.  Unharmed.  We were able to release the fear of the "what if's" ...


Because of a peal ring.


4 comments:

Al & Judy Melton said...

We are so incredibly blessed to have children like you! We can hardly wait for your visit next month and yes, you can leave the bullet proof vests at home!

grannimcd said...

GREAT story! And a great visual of resting/trusting God. Thanks for sharing.....and Happy Birthday, girlfriend!

Jennifer McGregor said...

You need a "Like it" button on your blog...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Auntie Jen!!! But also.... I was never worried about Grammy and Papa cause theyre a couple of tough munchkins them two! They went to everywhere and have been fine thus far... so they will be okay always.