Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Even When They Are Mean

Last year was a tough one at school.  I am not even going to elaborate ... one only needs to go back and read my cries for help on my postings last year to know that it was a year I wanted to see come to an end quickly.

Sometimes your troubles leave for good.  And, sometimes, like the stink of a skunk, they linger for a bit.

Or, sometimes people are just mean.  Well, we in the South have another term ... "ugly." 

And, I really can't say I have people in my life who don't like me or who are ugly to me ... except for one.

And, she is a thorn in my side.  And, she reared her ugly head yesterday.  And I do mean UGLY!

I must say, she wasn't ugly to me, but she did lash out at someone around me.  And, the sad truth is that I knew that her hatred of everyone and everything at the school is because of me and last year's events.  

Sometimes no amount of honey will catch a fly.

It was just discouraging.  It made me tired.  It made me want to climb in bed and stay there for a bit.


But, instead I breathed through my nose and looked around me and put on my big girl panties.


And I dragged myself to Beth Moore to begin a new Bible Study. (A Heart Like His)

In an instant I knew it was a good decision.  Especially when our first song during praise and worship was "Mighty to Save" ...

Everyone needs forgiveness
The kindness of a Savior


I got the message.  Especially when it was thrown up on the big screens.  I stood there singing and asked God to bless that crazy woman.  Hard?  You betcha.  Did I really say it nicely?  Not so much.  I may or may not have asked God to bless her with gritted teeth.  Doesn't matter.  Day one of anything isn't easy.  Neither is day two ...

Oh, and today, I caught myself asking God to bless her again. 

Will she ever be nice to me?  Probably not.  Do I really want to be her best friend?  Um, no thank you.  I don't even want to be her little bit of a friend.

I just want to live a life that is pleasing to God.  One that makes others wish for Who I serve.  And, that life won't be pleasing if I can't learn to forgive.  Because everyone needs forgiveness.


Even people who are mean.

5 comments:

Jennifer McGregor said...

Love it... Ryan liked it so much, he posted it on his facebook page.

rachellechaseblog said...

preach it!

grannimcd said...

Especially people who are mean/ugly.

Laurie said...

"Love your enemies" is a Biblical principal for a reason. It doesn't necessary change them, but it changes you. Can you imagine how hard this principle was for Christ with those who oppressed Him? Good reminder today.

Al & Judy Melton said...

OHMY how long ago was it that we crawled down that road? 7 8 years ago??? How about LAST WEEK! But at least we got to where we needed to be a whole lot quicker than we did 8 years ago... Praise God!!! Love ya baby ... dad