Monday, May 25, 2009

No Greater Love

Today is Memorial Day. It is so much more than a day off from work or school. So much more than a chance to barbecue or swim. So much more than a chance to nap. It is a day for us to remember those who have served our country well and for those who have paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

Yesterday, our church paid tribute to the families of Houstonians who gave their lives in Iraq or Afghanistan. Mayor White came and shared from his heart ... not sure he is a Christian, but our pastor is doing his best to point him to the cross. While the orchestra played, the names of Houston's fallen were rolling on the big screen. I read every name. There were too many. Too many. When the families stood, we did the only thing we could do ... clapped and cried. And we stood and clapped. For a long time. And the whole time I was thinking, "How can this be enough?" It was not enough. It could not be enough. I hope they felt our gratitude and know that we didn't just feel it then but every day.

One of HFBC's pastor (of the deaf church) shared the story of his son, Staff Sargeant Brian Craig, who was killed in Afghanistan over 7 years ago. He shared how on his last phone conversation with his son he asked about his walk with Christ. As he was trying to tell his dad, the phone started to break up. So, to answer his question he wrote him a letter. 7 days before he died. It would be his parents last letter they received from Brian. They received it 12 days after his death. In it he shared how he was growing in Christ, how thankful he was for their prayers, how much he loved them and how proud he was to be their son. Twelve days after his death his parents received a treasure ... a gift.

Over 4 years ago, the war in Iraq suddenly became real to our family as our nephew, Paul Andrew was called to serve. We had to trust completely that the One who gave him to us would hold him in His hands. I would love to say it was easy ... but, I am human. How Linda and Paul did it I will never know. When we left for the beach that year we knew that Paul would soon be coming home. There are moments in your life that are etched in your memory forever ... the news that Paul was out of Iraq and safe in Germany was one of those moments. We were lucky. And we know it.

Our pastor (oh how we love him!) preached from John 15:12-13. Jesus commands us to love one another ... it is easy to love someone we care about, but He also commands us to love our enemies. Jesus did. He died on the cross for His enemies ... because until I accepted Him I was His enemy. Let that wash over you. I'm not sure I would be willing to lay down my life for my enemy, but every day our service men and women lay down their lives for their enemies as they do what they do to protect our country. There is no greater love.

And, so today as you go and enjoy your day think of all the Brian Craigs. Pray for their safety. Pray that God would give their families peace and comfort until they wait to hug them again. Pray that they would be able to hug them again.

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. John 15:12-13


1 comment:

grannimcd said...

Ok, I don't know why I did it, but I did it. I was already teary-eyed when I read what you wrote about Paully and all those emotions came flooding back.....So, why did I click on the letter video and watch it???? How sad and wonderful that they got that letter. I am NEVER unaware of the fact that it was God our Father in His great grace and mercy that protected our son and brought him back to us. How do people who do not know Christ ever survive times such as these?!?!?