Sunday, May 17, 2009

FIVE

As in there are only five days of school left. I had imagined this moment a little differently in October ... as in lots of whoops and hollers and a few new dance moves. Yet, here I am on the eve of the last week of school and I feel like I do every year at this time.

Don't get me wrong. No one looks forward to summer more than teachers. We are on the battlefield every day for 180 days ... trust me we need it. Without it there would be a drastic need for more men in white coats! And, this has been one tough year. One for the record books. I'm not totally sure who reads this blog, so I censor some of what I write. You wouldn't believe half of what has gone on this year. I don't ... and I lived it!

So, that being said I thought I would be joyful. And, I'm not. I only have five days left. Is that enough time? Will I say everything I need to say? Will I love on them enough? Will I hug them enough? Will I remind them enough of how much Jesus loves them? There is not enough time left.

I have been blessed this year with 19 amazing and different kiddos to love on and teach. I send them off to 1st grade knowing they are ready to go ... Kindergarten is the most amazing year ... they come to you unable to even recognize letters and leave reading, reading, reading. I have learned a lot from this group. I have laughed a lot. I have been on my knees a lot. A LOT. They are ready ... and, so I send them on.

I send them home on the last day with this poem.

True then. True now.


4 comments:

jaywalker said...

How I wish Austin could have you for his kindergarten teacher! I can tell already... that boy is going to need a STRONG hand at the helm of the class...

Melinda said...

5 days! Wish that were us! Glad you made it through, you deserve a great summer! Let us know what you all are doing!

grannimcd said...

Oh man, If you are this "bad" now, I cannot even imagine how nutso you will be just before Torrey goes off to college!!!!!!!

Dean T. said...

5 days for you, 23 years for me... Nice.