Monday, October 6, 2008

I Was Reminded Today

The past few weeks have been hard in our house. Not because of one BIG thing, but lots of little things that have been weighing us down. Today was a crazy day at school ... report cards were due at 1:00, but we couldn't get them to print, I had FIVE conferences today (what was I thinking? it is Monday!), I forgot my lunch (and checkbook ... a coffee was delivered by the most handsome delivery man ... thanks Dean!) and then there was the faculty meeting, which I will admit I only went to because I KNEW I would win one of the prizes because my day was so terrible. When we were dismissed, I almost raised my hand and said "Um, did you forget to give me MY prize?!" ... no prizes today. Rats! But, it was in the faculty meeting that I was reminded there is more to Jeremiah 29 than just verse 11. To give background, the Israelites are going to be in exile for 70 years and God makes this promise (He calls it a GRACIOUS promise) to them. Read on ...

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile." Jeremiah 29:11-14

We are feeling a bit in exile tonight ... not banished, just in exile from normalcy. We believe and know and hope that soon what was uprooted will be righted soon. We take comfort in the knowing that God has plans for us. Sweet plans for us ... and He is ready to bring them to be. A promise made 2000 years ago that is still true. Only God. Only God.

No comments: