Thursday, March 24, 2011

Wash Your Feet Day

I teach at a Christian school.  Which brings me joy.  I have taught at several different Christian schools, but this one is different in that we go to Bible as one of our specials.  There are teachers in our Lower School who only teach Bible.  Do I even need to say that they make it real and relevant to the children?

As we begin the Easter story, our Kindergarten Bible teacher tells the children the story of the Last Supper and how Jesus washed the disciples feet.  And then she washes their feet.  We simply call it "Wash Your Feet Day" ... and I look forward to it like a Kindergartner looks forward to Christmas.
The first time I witnessed "Wash Your Feet Day", I was not prepared ... at all.  They started by putting out one foot ...
 And, criminitely, how cute are Kindergarten feet? But, wait ... it doesn't stop there ...
Because then sweet Mrs. Jennings goes around and washes their feet and whispers prayers over the children.  And, all the while the child whose foot she is washing is listening and grinning and knowing that they are loved.  

My first year she whispered to one little girl, "Jesus loves you so much" ... and the joy on that sweet ones face is a look I will never forget.  Because that little one NEEDED to hear those words.  She NEEDED to know that she is desperately loved by our Savior.  

And what am I doing while all this is going on?  Taking it all in ... with tears streaming down my face.  Every year I pray that my children will be changed by our Bible class ... and I know that I will be changed too.