Friday, March 18, 2011

Burgers, Snow Cones, Strawberries ... Oh My!

When we woke up today we had a plan ... which was a first for us this Spring Break. Spring Break for Torrey and I could be called the "Week of the No Plan" ... and it was fantastic.  But, Dean was home and we had a plan ... partly because we had to cram a whole week of fun into one day.  Dern the "Week of the No Plan"!

We started with lunch at Smash Burgers ... a first for us.
 It was OK ... Five Guys is still our fave.  I got a salad ... which Torrey said was my problem.  Perhaps.


There was then a fun for me trip to Pottery Barn.  There are no pictures because it was only fun for me ... the only thing that kept Torrey in the game was knowing that right after we were finished in Pottery Barn we were headed to ...
 Mam's House of Ice.  Oh how we love!  We discovered this little trailer of icy goodness last summer.  It is only open during the warm months (thankfully MOST of the year in Houston) and the only draw back is the almost hour drive to get a snow cone.  Worth the drive.  And the usual half hour or more wait.  This was our first snow cone of the season ... it won't be our last!


After the snow cone goodness, we drove to my favorite farm stand to pick strawberries.  Seriously.  If you visit me in the summer, I guarantee you will get a snow cone and a trip to Frohberg's.  You may not love either as much as me, but just pretend.
 At this point in the post, I want to throw out there that Blogger is being wonky.  It is allowing some pictures, but not others.  Huh?  I may or may not be to blame.  Whatever blogger.


Right before I took this picture, we passed a group of women and one of them exclaimed, "No one told me there would be sweating involved!"  Which caused us to giggle ... and then Dean got a whiff of manure and this picture HAD to be taken!
 Oh field of strawberry goodness ... I would pick every single ripe strawberry if I had three weeks!  The field stretched on and on and on.  Super fun for this city girl.
 Torrey had been wanting to go strawberry picking most of Spring Break.  At some point we decided to wait until Dean could go with us ... neither one of them had been strawberry picking before.  Huh?  She loved it.
 I loved that I didn't have to pick one single strawberry.  Oh, I kid.  I picked about ten.  The only thing my two strawberry pickers did not love were the bees.  There are some things you don't tell people about until you are absolutely certain they can't back out.  
 In the end, one bucket had 4 pounds and the other one had 3 (slacker, Dean) ... which means we now have 7 pounds of strawberries in the fridge.  Um, anyone know what to do with that many strawberries?
When we left the field we spotted this little beauty ... since we were so close to St. Patrick's Day, we got a good giggle.  Because I'm pretty sure this isn't the "pot o gold" everyone thinks of when they think of a rainbow!

In the end it was a glorious day.  Well, it was glorious in the beginning too.  And the middle.  And the ...

2 comments:

Jennifer McGregor said...

LOVE Mam's!!

Rochel said...

make Strawberry fruit roll ups :) YUMMY!
http://flythroughmywindow.blogspot.com/2009/07/summer-recipe-fruit-roll-ups.html