Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hard

Today was a hard day ... for many different reasons. And, yet, it shouldn't have been hard. Make sense?


Torrey had a dentist appointment today ... for which we were late leaving the house. It sort of started my day off badly. That and the fact that insomnia is still hanging around. Dern.


I'm getting new cabinets in my classroom. Cabinets that came as a surprise at the end of the year. Cabinets that I did not want. They semi arrived today ... well, mine weren't actually in my room, but for the first time I found out where they were going to be. And, it may or may not have caused me to freak out.


Ok, it did.


The poor cabinet installer did his best to try to convince me it would be OK. He may or may not have succeeded. 


Ok, he did not.


And, in the midst of being late to the dentist and the cabinet fiasco, we found out that Torrey HAS to wear knee-length shorts for her missions trip next week. Last week's email said they could wear her summer uniform of Nike shorts. Knee-length shorts we do not have. At all. And, I really didn't want to have to go out and buy new shorts ... especially when finding anything that fits Torrey is difficult.


I was not in a good way. At all.


And, at some point I decided to grow up and act my age ... or at least the age I wish I was. Which would be younger than my actual age, but I didn't need to say that did I?


And I realized things can't be as bad as I think they are. 


Torrey was cavity-free today. As always. I may have a heart attack if they ever say she has a cavity. Her dentist was impressed with her teeth post-braces. Um, his wife is Torrey's orthodontist. HA!


Shorts ... we'll find shorts. Or, I will be sewing lace on Torrey's Nike shorts to make them knee-length.


I can't do a thing about the cabinets. They are what they are. I will probably hate them all year. Whatever.


Sometimes life is just hard. Not what you planned, but not the end of the world. You just have to figure out a way to muddle through ... we did that with snow cones today!


We made a trip to our favorite sno-cone stand ... and waited in line for over half an hour! We brought some friends ... Lauren who introduced me to the icy goodness and Roxanne (and her boys) who had never been. She was skeptical at first ... it didn't take more than one bite to realize the reason WHY the wait isn't so bad! We got a small dill pickle to try ... we all agreed it was disgusting and more than half of us spit it out. Goes to show not everything can be made into a sno-cone.


I mean ... would you buy a liver flavored sno-cone? Not even on your hardest day.

2 comments:

grannimcd said...

So sorry you had a bad day, Tracy. Glad you ended up with your favorite treat as a reward. Sorry about the shorts >>>> and the cabinets>>>>> but, as you said, in the grand scheme of things.... these are just small blips. Love you. Come for a swim any time. Austin and Ellie are missing you and Dean at the pool. and are dying to come down for a trampoline jump or two. They know it will be a very long trip - but they are ready and willing to make the trek. See you soon?!
Luvu, Sis-i-L xo

jaywalker said...

that's my suggestion... buy boys athletic shorts, they tend to be long. hope you find some soon!