Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Jon OR Kate Plus 8

First, I admit I am an avid watcher of "Jon & Kate Plus 8" ... I recommended the show to my friends and hooked Torrey on the fun. And, then came Monday's announcement. They were done. Not with the show. That would have been the right thing to do. No. They are done with the marriage. Ten years. Eight kids. I guess they didn't think there was reason enough to stay and fight.

And, the funny thing is, I knew it was coming. Blogs have been commenting. It has been on the news. Late night talk shows have been discussing it for weeks. You can't even check out at the grocery store because it is there. They have been everywhere. Except where they need to be. Fighting for their marriage.

It hasn't gotten past me that this was announced the week of our anniversary. Dean and I celebrate 17 years this Saturday. 17. It felt like not so much on Sunday. On Monday it felt like a big deal. On Monday it became something to be extremely proud of. On Monday it became something to brag about.

I told Dean last night I felt responsible for Jon & Kate splitting because I have watched the show. Maybe if we all stopped they would have taken out the cameras and they wouldn't be where they are today. Maybe 8 kiddos that we have come to love wouldn't be another statistic. Maybe.

Sometimes the price for having the latest and greatest or going on fantastic vacations is higher than you should have to pay. Jon and Kate kept saying they do everything for their kids (um, maybe that is the problem ... you need to do everything for each other first), but I am sure if you ask the kids they wouldn't have wanted this or anything else. They didn't need the Hawaii vacation, the big house, the toys, the cute clothes, the dogs, the play houses, the nannies ... all they needed were their parents. In love. Together. That is what they need. That is all they need.

And, so Jon and Kate, I say farewell. I can not watch anymore. I am done. I will enjoy my own life with my own family doing our same old same old boring things ... but, truly loving each other in the same old same old.

It may be a boring life, but it's our life. (I had to update to add that ... I woke up in the middle of the night with that on the tip of my tongue. I, of course, did not rush to the computer to write that down. Because sleep is important. And, my sleep is very important. Just ask my sisters.)

2 comments:

grannimcd said...

I, too, am disappointed and will no longer watch them lie to themselves and to their children and to us that they will stay together forever........apparently forever means something different to them. sigh>>>>>>

Michael said...

AMEN, sister. PREACH IT! (jessica)