Sunday, April 18, 2010

Here, There and Everywhere

You may want to get a cup of coffee ... this post is a doozy.  I may be a bit obsessed with taking pictures.  Just a bit.  
We started our day where we left off ... in Galilee.  We had a most delicious breakfast (Israeli style) and hit the road running.  The Khamasin was still in effect, so unfortunately our view of Galilee and most everything else was hindered.  These are the horns of Hittin ... they were beautiful, even amidst the dust.
We went to the Mount of Beatitudes next.  Again, the dust.  Oy!  But, again, it was easy to picture Jesus preaching to the multitudes here.  The mount runs right down to the Sea of Galilee ... making an amphitheater.  Because how could all those people hear His words without the microphones and speakers of today?
There was a church at the top of the mount ... it was packed with people.  Dad, Dean and I waited outside.  Guess who went in?
Sitting in the gardens at the Mount of Beatitudes.  Israel was full of beauty ... the flowers were amazing.  
I kid you not.  Absolutely amazing!
Next we went to the Church of the Multiplication (you know ... loaves and fishes?)  We went for the floor ... the mosaics on the floor were done during the 5th century.  That is old.  
In the gardens of the church.  While we were there, we were amused by some birds building their nests in the rafters of the church.  
Then we were off to the Church of the Primacy of Peter.  There is a big rock in the middle of the church where it is believed Jesus said "Upon this rock I will build my Kingdom."  We didn't really go to see the rock ... we were looking for a spot to ...


put our toes in the Sea of Galilee.  Amazing.  Somewhere along this shoreline, Jesus called His disciples.  Somewhere along this shoreline, a small boy shared his lunch.  Somewhere along this shoreline, Jesus walked on the water.  Somewhere along this shoreline, Jesus put His feet in the water just like my girl.
Please, Lord, let her feet always desire to be Your feet.  Wearing the Shoes of the Gospel of Peace.  Walking in your footsteps.  Pleasing you in all she does.
"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."  Matthew 4:19
Then we were off again to Capernaum.  We saw Simon Peter's house ... you know, where Jesus healed Peter's mother in law?  Jesus also healed a paralytic in Capernaum.
Some excavated buildings in the town.  In the background is the synagogue. 
In case you are wondering ... yes, we did feel the effects of jet lag.  And, yes, my family does not really enjoy the taking of pictures.  Perhaps I am to blame.  
Dean and Torrey wandering through the synagogue.
This is me and my mom.  This picture will always be special to me ... because it was right after she told me the I was her favorite.  Sorry Laurie, Steve and Jen. But, it is time that you knew the truth.  
Then we continued our crazy day of travel to Mount Carmel ... which is where Elijah challenged the prophets of Baal and won.  Standing at the top of Mount Carmel, you can see the valley where the Battle of Armageddon will be fought.  Unless you are in the middle of a dust storm.  Which is why we want to go back to Israel!
Even with the dust, there is beauty everywhere in Israel.  My first visit I imagined a country full of dust, dirt and deserts.  This is what I found.  Beauty.

The view from the top.  The windy view from the top.
Our day still wasn't finished.  We jumped in the car and went to Caesarea to see the aqueducts that were used during the Roman Empire.


I will stop here to say that there was a disastrous side trip to Nazareth.  Not only did we get lost, there was traffic and when we got to our destination the thing we were going to see was closed.  It did make for some laughs and some fun(?) family memories.


But, back to the aqueducts.  They are right along the Mediterranean Sea.  And, they were quite impressive.


Cute family picture ... had hoped for a Christmas card picture ... but, alas, not to be.  Still a great memory.


Dean and Torrey both put their feet in the water.  It was cold.  And, that was all I needed to hear to keep my shoes on my feet!
Oh, how I love them both ... and how grateful  I was to share this adventure with them!
The beauty of the water.  The beauty of our girl.  Truly an amazing day.


Just so I remember ... as we were heading down to the water, a bus full of girls pulled into the parking lot.  We heard them before we saw them ... because as soon as they got off the bus they were screaming.  And then running and screaming for the water.  They never stopped screaming.  Never.  They kind of made me stop and look at the water in a different light.  Because when did seeing the ocean stop being something of wonder and majesty?  When did it become same old same old?  I never want the beauty of God's creation to become something I tire of it ... I want to look at it with amazement and wonder.  Just like those girls.
And, with that we were off.  Back to Jerusalem.  Back to the Garden.

2 comments:

Jennifer McGregor said...

Great pictures... but I think perhaps Mom was talking to the statue. Just saying.

Laurie said...

I think she must have been so jet-lagged she (Tracy) was delusional. Too bad. How much of this day REALLY happpened? :0 Looks like you had alot of fun!