Sunday, November 1, 2015

A Month of Thankfulness

I woke up this morning and it was November 1st. That in itself is reason enough to give thanks ... because every year I forget how hard Halloween is for a Kindergarten teacher. And I teach at a Christian school ... we do not mention the day at all. Wait. Let me be clear ... I do not mention the day at all. My littles? Not. So. Much. Y'all. Last week was rough.

But, it's over! November is here. And before we jump headfirst into the beauty of Christmas, can we all resolve to spend this month just being thankful? It is so easy to look around you and feel disgruntled or annoyed with life ... when it would be so much easier to just be thankful for all that is good. And I'm completely talking to myself here. (Insert girl with raised hand emoji here.)

So on this first day of November I am thankful for my church. We've been going to our church since September of 2006. Our move to Houston was a rough one (mostly for me) and by the time we found Houston's First I assumed we would go one day and continue our never-ending search for a church. Instead, I just knew we were home before we even made it in the front door. God is kind of good like that ... because He knew I needed to feel grounded. Like many large churches, our church has several campuses with our pastor speaking at the main campus and his sermon is streamed to the smaller campuses. Our church has 4 campuses ... with one being in our neighborhood. Last year we made the switch to our neighborhood and haven't looked back since ... we so love it.

Today we started a new series called "Unstoppable". Because God is unstoppable. I have never thought of Him as unstoppable. Mighty? Yes. Powerful? Yes. Unstoppable? Nope. I've been pondering this all afternoon. Our worship pastors wrote a song with a line that says: 

When the world wants to silence You
I will stand for what I know is true

It feels like the world is against Christianity, the Church and God. And it is. And we have to be strong enough to stand up for what we know is true. And more importantly Who we know is true. Y'all. This is not the time for us to sit back and be quiet. Or scared. Or timid. This is the time for us to be in our communities being hope and light. This is the time for us to vote wisely. This is the time for us to stand for what we know is true. We can be scared and timid and quiet on another day, but not now.

So on November 1st I am thankful for my church and for my pastor who leads us with wisdom and truth. And if you are looking for a church home in Houston, can I recommend Houston's First ... it's a pretty fabulous place! And if you want to read more about our unstoppable God, our pastor wrote a book entitled Unstoppable Gospel about the journey our church took a few years ago to make a difference in our community, country and world. I will forever be thankful for the difference our church has made on our family ... it made the move to Houston so so so worth it!

No comments: